With the increasing cases of the corona virus pandemic in Nigeria which according to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control as at 09:30 pm 6th April there are 238 confirmed cases of #COVID19 reported in Nigeria. Thirty-five have been discharged with five deaths. There was six new cases of #COVID19 reported in Nigeria: 2 in Kwara, 2 in Edo, 1 in Rivers and 1 in the FCT.

The Nigerian government in an effort to cushion the effect of the pandemic through its Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Zainab Ahmed, as announced to engage 774,000 Nigerians on special public work program, 1,000 from each local government.

The minister said “President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the engagement of 774, 000 Nigerians on Special Public Works programme in the country to cushion the effect of COVID-19 pandemic” she disclosed this at a press conference on fiscal stimulus measures in response to COVID-19 pandemic and oil prices fiscal shock, on Monday in Abuja.

She further explained that 1, 000 people were expected to be recruited from each of the 774 local government areas in the country. According to her, N60 billion for allowances and operational cost has been earmarked from the COVID-19 crisis intervention fund for the initiative.

She said Buhari had previously approved a pilot special public works programme in eight states to be implemented by the National Directorate of Employment (NDE).

She added that Buhari had now approved that this programme be extended to all 36 States and the FCT from October to December 2020 and the selected time-frame was to ensure that it was implemented after the planting season. (NAN)

Processing…
Success! You're on the list.